20 May 2011

Thrifting in Vienna

The last time we posted Royal wedding fever was in the air, we have just about recovered from all the tea, cake and cava that was consumed during the celebrations!

Check out some of the photographs which people have sent in to our Butler and Taylor facebook of how they spent the day! There is still a chance to post your photos up to our facebook page (come on slow coaches!!) there is some very cool vintage prizes to be won!


Helen Potter sent this picture in of her friends Claire and Colin. We think it is fantastic!

This month has been very busy for Butler and Taylor, we have supplied our china for tea parties and Gramophone DJ’d at weddings. Hopefully we will have some photographs from some of these events to post up soon for all to see.

I also managed to squeeze in a wee holiday over Easter for my birthday. Tom took me to Vienna and Budapest. Here on the blog I want to share some holiday snaps and my market discoveries!

We arrived in Vienna first and were eager beavers to discover what the city had to offer! I always believe the best way to explore a new place is by visiting a market. You find all sorts of differents foods and objects that you would not find back home.

We were lucky to find that the Naschmarkt was not far away from our hotel, this is Austria’s largest market and has been there since the 16th century.

The market is open all week but weekends are best as they have a flea market which starts at 6am! It sold everything from flowers to fish and there was plenty cool places to get a beer.


After major hints Tom bought me a bunch of the deep pink tulips!!

As you can guess my favourite bit was the flea market, here are some pictures to give you an idea –




I treated myself to a beautiful collection of ribbons and a little case!

If you do visit the Naschmarkt don’t forget to look up, very nearby are two remarkable apartment buildings. Designed by Otto Wagner in 1899. Imagine living there!


On the way home I had to have an Aida hot chocolate and sweet,  just what I needed after a hard day at a flea market!


The next day we hung out at the museum quarter.


Tom had a nap in a plastic hammock!


They also had a fantastic art book shop called Walther König Books, I think I spent two hours in this shop!


The next morning I trotted of to see some art as Tom had to work. I got to The Belvedere gallery which hosts the largest Gustav Klimt collection. The famous golden painting - The Kiss was on show and lots of his other paintings. I particulary liked this one  -


 I think it is because I really want her jumper!

The current exhibition is the Egon Schiele - Self-Portraits and Portraits, which I recommend if you happen to be in Austria. It is on until the 13th of June 2011. I have always loved his drawings.

Here is a view from one of the gallery windows – Vienna is BEAUTIFUL it is a fact!



In the afternoon I took the tram to a huge secondhand warehouse called Carla.

It felt like I was entering Ikea but instead it was filled with everything old and interesting. It was incredible and full to the brim with furniture, books and all sorts of stuff. Everything was reasonable. Here are some of my snaps which I took on the sneak!














After being on my feet all day I decided to have a rest in the most delightful tea house called Sussi Salon de The Francais. The owner was from Paris and he told me he offered over 400 teas in his cafe! I really wanted to be adventurous and try a different tea but I must confess that I ordered my staple favourite Earl Grey – just the thing when you are parched!


The next day Tom was free so we made our way to the Easter Market at Schönbrunn Palace where we had heard that there was a huge Easter market happening, on our way I spotted the most amazing bike cover! Can anyone tell me where to get one of these? I looked in Vienna but had no luck, I would love one for my bike, I may have to make one.....


We made it to the market and I was overwhelmed by the amount of handmade eggs I saw, feast your eyes on these photographs –



There was also lots of crazy Easter related goods such as these owls and rabbits, I tried to convince Tom that one of the hedgehog ornaments would look great in our livingroom but he was not keen!


Afterwards we were all Easter- egged out so we travelled back into the city centre and had a drink in the famous American bar.



It was designed by the Austrian architect, Adolf Loos. Cool and compact with great cocktails! Find the bar at 10 Karntner Durchgang.

When we returned back to our hotel I had a birthday surprise waiting for me, Tom had bought me a Sachertorte (top noche Austrian chocolate cake) and Opera tickets! Two things you must try when in Vienna.



Tom at the interval of the Faust Opera.

The next morning we drank coffee at the Cafe Museum which was once the haunt of well known artists and writers.

I can honestly say this is one of the best coffees I have ever had!


We took AGES to decide which cake to share......


Tom is pleased with our cake choice!



After we polished off our cake it was time to catch the train to Budapest, more market adventures to follow…..

Jenny x

Naschmarkt

2 comments:

preciouseast said...

i want to go to that vintage warhouse, looks like a dream come true

Butler & Taylor said...

Me too! I'm totally amazed by these finds! Vienna me wanna go. Claire x

Post a Comment